Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Bag Lady

New Year and back to the grind.

I'll have lots of exciting new things to share with you this year.

To start with, I found the most unusual bag by a relatively unknown designer.

Katherine Kwei.

I hadn't heard much about her but her career began in PR in Hong JKong fior Louis Vuitton, spanninbg 14 countries in the Asia Pacific region. In 2002, she left Louis Vuitton to pursue an MA in Accessories at the well respected Cordwainers in London. She then went on to work with Susannah Hunter (who taught me at St Martins), then the Billy Bag company then she moved to Nerw York and after a six month work placement with Zac Posen....she launched her own line.

Her bags are available at small boutiques and stores across the world such as Henri Bendel, Scoop and Takashimaya in New York, Holt Renfew in Canada and Lane Crawford in Hong Kong.

"Katherine Kwei handbags blends everything from luxury brands to vintage pieces to the latest street wear to create a polished yet chic and playful, figure-flattering silhouette. I hope that my refined sensibility reflects in my pieces and appeals to a woman who is confident and secure in her own sense of style."


Its a bit like Marmite, either you love it or you hate it.....


This is the Safira which makes a great day bag. Love the colour, love the detail.


This silver python fabulosity is the Teresa Hobo.

As fabulous as I think both bags are, and as much as they indicate a strong sense of style from the designer...I can't help but feel I'd rip the bag to shreds the first time I used it as those tassle are bound to catch on EVERYTHING. And I'm a pretty careful person who really looks after my stuff.


Your thoughts?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like the bags... i think.
seeing one side alone might not be sufficient to make sound judgement.
the tassles are kinda distracting tho, and they don't look particularly chic. they give a more laid back, jus hangin' feel... which is a good thing exactly half the time.

Dropsofglamour said...

Mmm...my personal taste in bags does not quite fit with these bags but I do appreciate her creativity. Impressive resume too!

Uzo said...

They dont really stand out to me and the tassels are everywhere...I wish i was creative enough to create my own wardrobe though? How much do these bags cost?

Anonymous said...

holt renfrew is not small neither is it a boutique. its a departmental store. like harrods or bergdorf goodman.

TigerTem said...

@geisha..very hard to tell isn't it?

@dropsofglamour...i think I agree with you on that.

@Uzo...expensive. Around the $1000-2000 mark for the bigger daybags.

@Anon..thanks for that. It was a typo, I meant to say small boutiques and stores like Henrei Beddel etc, amended it.

TigerTem said...

I mean Henri...damn, all these typos and I proofread for other people all the time. I think faster than I type I guess.